Background for Larry Eckman
My name is Larry Eckman and I am licensed as a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner (PMHNP). I also have licensure as a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW). As a PMHNP I can prescribe psychotropic or mental health medications for a wide variety of issues and symptoms such as ADHD, bipolar disorders, anxiety disorders, depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder and others as well. PMHNP’s are very similar to psychiatrists in what they do with assessments, diagnosis, and treatment except that psychiatrists attend medical school whereas PMHNP’s attend post graduate nursing school.
Some of my clients have indicated they prefer a PMHNP because they liked the holistic approach to client care. The key is to find a practitioner that resonates with you and listens to your concerns.
Initially I was trained in psychotherapy and that is my bedrock foundation. Along the way, I’ve added psychotropic medication management, cognitive behavioral therapy, solution focused therapy, humanistic therapy, mindfulness, gratitude, forgiveness, EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) and hypnotherapy tools and techniques. These tools along with others, afford me a greater perspective to work with different clients and different issues.
I believe having the combination licensure as a psychotherapist and a psych nurse practitioner affords me a unique perspective on body, mind and spirit and gives me tools that some others may not have individually. This allows clients to feel confident that the practitioner can address issues from a wide vantage point competently, accurately, and confidently.
- Bachelor’s Degree from Portland State University in Social Science/Psychology
- Masters in Social Work from Portland State University
- Masters in Nursing from Vanderbilt University
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Training
- Basic Certification in Hypnosis
- Advanced Clinical Hypnotherapist
- Mental Health Therapist at Non-Profit Community Agency
- Mental Health Therapist at In-Patient Hospital Psychiatric Facility
- Mental Health Therapist in Private Practice
- Registered Nurse at National Non Profit Agency
- Registered Nurse Community Health
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner at two Non Profit Community Agencies
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner in Private Practice
- CHADD Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder
- OMHA Oregon Mental Health Association
- AMHA American Mental Health Alliance
- ONA Oregon Nurses Association
- NPO Nurse Practitioners of Oregon
- NASW National Association of Social Workers